Birding Outside of Westchester County
Hempstead Lake State Park
This park can have some of the first migrant warblers in late April.
Directions to Hempstead Lake State Park
from Lenoir Nature Preserve, Yonkers:
1. From Lenoir take Dudley Street back to North Broadway.
2. Turn right and travel south on North Broadway to 1st light.
3. At light, turn left onto Executive Boulevard and take it to the Saw Mill River Parkway.
4. Turn right onto Saw Mill River Parkway southbound and take it to the Cross County Parkway.
5. Take Cross County Pkwy. to Exit 9, Hutchinson River Pkwy.,south.
6. Take Hutchinson River Parkway south to Whitestone Bridge.
7. Once over bridge bare left onto Cross Island Parkway.
8. Take Cross Island Parkway to Exit 25A, Southern State Parkway East. Exit is on the left lane!
9. Take Southern State 4.7 miles to Exit 18, Eagle Avenue. Keep right at the fork, follow signs for Hempstead Lake State Park/Rockville Center and merge onto Eagle Ave.
Go 0.8 miles to the second entrance on the right (Field 2 & 3) into Hempstead Lake State Park They may be charging a state parking fee. Turn left and meet in Field 3.
Comments, corrections, and additions can be
sent to Michael Bochnik
All Rights Reserved