Birding Outside of Westchester County
Jones Beach & Point lookout, Nassau County
Visit in the fall for migrants and rarities and winter for loons, grebes, sea ducks and more. This area usually hold at least one or two rarities at a time, the possibilities are too numerous to mention here. Nearby Point Lookout holds Purple Sandpipers and Harlequin Ducks in winter around three rock jetties.
Directions from Lenoir Nature Preserve,
Yonkers to Coast Guard Station:
1. From Lenoir take Dudley Street back to North Broadway.
2. Turn right and travel south on North Broadway to 1st light.
3. At light, turn left onto Executive Boulevard and take it to the Saw Mill River Parkway.
4. Turn right onto Saw Mill River Parkway southbound and take it to the Cross County Parkway.
5. Take Cross County Pkwy. to Exit 9, Hutchinson River Pkwy.,south.
6. Take Hutchinson River Parkway south to Whitestone Bridge.
7. Once over bridge bare left onto Cross Island Parkway.
8. Take Cross Island Parkway to Exit 25A, Southern State Parkway East. Exit is on the left lane!
9. Take Southern State to Exit 22S, Meadowbrook Pkwy./Jones Beach.
10. Take Meadowbrook Parkway south.
11. At the closed parking tolls stay to the left and go around them,
then get back into the right lane. 12. After about ½ mile bare right toward West End 2. Go past the Police
barracks on the right and continue to the next turn off. Make two rights
to the public parking area.
Comments, corrections, and additions can be
sent to Michael Bochnik
All Rights Reserved